Saturday, May 14, 2011

Workouts, Exercise, Vacation and Cruise Ships

When it comes to writing about travel there is such a huge assortment of things to write about, that one can be overwhelmed with ideas. My idea notebook is full of ideas on things I can write about but when I look though it my brain goes into overdrive and comes up with lots of thoughts about lots of different things. So how does one narrow down to one topic a week to write about? That is a very good question!

The past two weeks I have been inspired by events that have taken place, such as the Royal Wedding and then my husband’s knee surgery. This week has been a fairly quiet week. I got back into my workouts with my personal trainer…Wait! Stop the Press!!


Workouts, exercise, vacation, cruise ships, link them all together and what do you have…a new blog topic! Yeehaa!

Okay so now onto this week’s topic…did you know that the average person will put on 1 to 2 pounds a day on a cruise? On a 7-night cruise that is 7-14 pounds…or for some a dress or pant size. That is a lot to put on, but you don’t have to. Just by making a few wise decisions and choices you can still enjoy the cruise, the food, the activities etc.

Most cruise ships come with fully equipped fitness centers, so if you are someone who likes to work out, you can. Want to move between decks…take the stairs instead of the elevators. Most cruise lines have healthy options on their menus that are very delicious. Did you know that prior to your cruise you can let the cruise line know that you have special dietary needs or food allergies? I have a reaction to onions, so I let the cruise lines know in advance and then my wait staff is notified and they work with me to have meals specially prepared for me with no onions. Often I get given the next day’s menu to select what I would like to eat so they can advise the kitchen in advance. Some of the special dietary needs that cruise lines may cater to include diabetic, low fat, low carb, Kosher, etc. But please note not all cruise lines offer all these options. This is where having a travel agent comes in handy as we usually have this information readily available and if not we can find out for you.

Ships have so many activities that keep you active. You can go 10-pin bowling, ice skating, rock wall climbing, run around the jogging track, spin classes, aerobic classes, sports court, table tennis, boxing, kick-boxing, etc. You can even walk around the decks. Some ships have a plaque on one level that may say how many laps equal a mile. This is typically found on the Promenade deck (or whatever the cruise line equivalent deck is) and you will quite often see people walking around the deck more than once. Oh and how can we forget the nightclubs! Dancing is something else you can do to help stay in shape while you sail. Then there are all the physically active shore excursions too.

Being someone who is a little bigger than I would like and someone who loves food, I know how easy it can be to say “I’m on vacation I can eat and do whatever I want.” I have been there done that and paid for it. Now I’m a little more conscious about things. When on a ship if I’m going about 2-3 decks I will walk the stairs, I like to be outside walking around in the sea air, I keep telling my trainer that I will workout in the fitness center onboard and I always manage to find it, but that is as far as I get. Locate it and leave it alone. I think about going and working out, but that is as close as I get to revisiting the fitness center, so I just walk around the ship. It’s easy and requires no equipment. When it comes to eating I try to go with the healthier choices. Having my onion issue makes choosing things on the menu a little easier too…if I know it is something that has onions as one of the main ingredients then I just avoid it and find something else. The first cruise I went on I lost 2 pounds over the 7-days. It was great! Out of the 7-night cruises I have done since then I have either lost a couple of pounds or put on 1-2 pounds. So watching what you eat and walking a little extra really does help.

If you would like to know more about fitness and nutrition while on the road or the seas, then please come and join us on our Annual Renewal Cruise in January 2012. This exclusive group on the cruise ship is designed with health and fitness in mind. We want to help you set and keep your health and fitness goals whether they be part of your new year’s resolution or renewing with yourself your previously set goals. On this cruise my personal trainer will be there to show you very simple workouts you can do while on the road, to spend some 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 time with you going through your workout and making some adjustments if needed. We have my nutrition coach too, her philosophy is “know your food, love your body” and she will be teaching that philosophy, oh and I understand one of her workshops involves enjoying cupcakes! Then we have my life coach who will teach you about goal setting for you or your business. She will also have you do exercises to put things in place to help you achieve your health and fitness goals for 2012 and maybe a few other goals too. You will even get to hear my health and fitness story and will see the before pictures and then see just how far I have come since I started working with these three coaches.  If you would like more then please check out the website at http://www.annualrenewalcruise.com

Well that’s it for this week’s topic. If you have something about vacations, or travel that you would like to know about then please contact us and we will maybe use it for the next topic. Until next time, take a break and make each moment count.

No comments:

Post a Comment